Inspired by various Vine special effects videos (most of them of very low quality), and especially Zach King’s work, I decided to use Blender3D to make my own very short (and low quality) special effects. These were meant to be short, from learning how to use the new video sequence editor and movie clip editor to rendered application. Blender 2.70 is already out, but I used 2.68a for both of these. Nothing fancy, but enjoy:
The motion tracking feature is by far my favorite. If I had a better quality camera, it would be even easier (much manual intervention was involved)
As it turns out, there were some elements of the wireless LD goggles that were less than ideal.
- Drilling through plastic creates an unpleasant burnt-plastic smell
- The entire device was heavy and bulky, thanks to the 9V battery
- My current op-amp setup necessitates a 9V battery
- 9V batteries are not cheap, and they seem to expire quicker than I would like
- The mask leaves marks. Which can be fun to explain to co-workers the next day
If you have ever tried to execute a PowerShell script (files ending in .PS1) by double-clicking on the file, you will have noticed that instead of running the script, it opens a text editor. Whatever your reasons, it turns out there is a way to execute PowerShell scripts in this manner. Here’s how.
I’ve tried to create a pair of lucid dreaming goggles before, but never this advanced. The basic idea behind them is to give you a visual cue when it detects REM sleep, the period of sleep where you are dreaming. This visual cue can be seen even though you are asleep, and assists in allowing you to realize that you are dreaming. A lucid dream is simply a dream wherein you are aware that you are dreaming. These types of dreams are rare for most people, but it isn’t uncommon to meet someone who regularly has them. For more information on lucid dreams, check out: DreamViews (or look it up on Wikipedia)
So this entry will be much shorter than previous ones, partially because it is getting late, and also because there is not much technical about this project.
The other day, I simply had a hankering to make something of the AJAX flavor. There is no XML, but rather JSON. In the end I had an AJAJ website. Utilizing HTML5, and the latest-and-greatest in standard HTML/CSS/JS/PHP technologies. It’s a little community drawing/rating system, centered around your typical emoticon. Go check it out here: http://tassile.com/smileyfight/
Smileyfight: 10% Face, 90% Fight.
The first one is by far the more interesting. Using all three of the above technologies, I created an interactive quote-display webapp. Should work in FireFox and Chrome. Does not work in IE. The image below gives you a bit of an idea of what you’ll be in for. Hover your mouse over each bubble to interact with it.
Go here to check it out: http://tassile.com/quotes/QuoteGen.php
Or create your own, just follow this pattern: http://tassile.com/quotes/QuoteGen.php?q=Your+quote+here.
So I have been searching for apartments lately, in an unfamiliar state. Because I don’t know the area very well, I found myself going back and forth between apartment listings and Google Maps. This was very tedious, so I created LocateStuff. It’s a GreaseMonkey script (which is an add-on for Firefox) that gives you fast and easy access to Google Maps on ANY webpage. You can have multiple maps on a page, and you can move them around to still see the webpage underneath. Download it and give it a try!
Download LocateStuff Here
Well that title was a mouthful. This article is all about my attempt at traffic shaping/modification; how I hacked together a transparent web proxy that allows traffic modification, and ARP-spoofed my house’s network in order to do so.
So over the spring break, I wrote a quick ~450 line C# program in order to learn the language. Within a day or two I had uScribble, an automatic screen-raster-renderer. To put it simply, it hijacks your mouse and draws things for you. Jumping from Java to C# was actually easier than I had thought. uScribble was basically a from-scratch copy of a similar Java application I had made in the past. There were various improvements, however. Before I get any farther, here is a picture of what it looks like, and what it can do:
Object oriented game engines got you down? Do you find yourself writing redundant code? Is your project becoming increasingly unmaintainable with every bit of additional functionality? Let an entity system engine help!
Jump here to see my entity system engine.
While an “entity system” (ES) has broader applications than game engines, I am only going to focus on the game engine side of things. An entity system fundamentally differs from an object oriented model of programming. Instead of a collection of instantiated objects that have their own variables and methods, an entity system contains entities that are assigned components, and acted upon by a system. Entities are simply an ID. In my ES implementation, they are simply integers. Components are tags, you can imagine them as labels such as “renderable”, “hasPhysics”, or “takesKeyboardInput”. Systems have the code to act upon relevant entities and components (sometimes more than one component).